My friends over at Whole Foods Market wanted a pumpkin recipe. In honor of fall starting today, this seemed like the perfect one. It is Halloween and Thanksgiving combined all into one with sprinkles on top…literally.
Heathy Halloween Food Ideas
1 sugar pie Pumpkin
2 Cups Cream
7/8 Cup packed Brown Sugar
5 Eggs, yolks
1 Teaspoon freshly grated Ginger
¾ Teaspoon ground Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon freshly ground Nutmeg
12 allspice berries
3 cardamom pods, crushed
6 black Peppercorns
¼ Teaspoon Sea Salt
6″ of citrus peel
½ Vanilla Bean, seeded with pod
1. First of all, the pumpkin with no face just seems to be a very sad pumpkin. So, I ‘m going to do one on mine before I do anything else.
Ah, much better! If you are looking to cut one , check out my How-To pumpkin carving.
2. Now, let’s cut this baby and half the seed of it ( except the seeds !) . You can go all Michael Myers on it and cut it off and on , but in fact , the two halves enough.
Check out my pumpkin seed recipes : Roasted Coffee & Chili seeds or seeds salted maple syrup .
3. Place the pumpkin ( cut side down ) on a parchment -lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 400 degrees. When it ? , It’s done , it will fork tender skin darkened , and all of this will look like a deflated balloon.
4. While this is going on, let’s start the custard is the basis for this ice cream. In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups whipping cream , ¾ cup packed brown sugar , 1 teaspoon grated ginger , ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon , ½ teaspoon nutmeg , allspice berries 12 , 5 cloves , 3 cardamom pods , 6 black peppercorns , 6 – inches citrus peel , 1/2 vanilla bean and pod , and ¼ teaspoon salt. Warm over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved and bubbles form around the edges.
NOTE : Want a healthy ice cream? You can use milk, which is much lower in fat . However, while you can boil the hell out of the cream , the same can not be said of other dairy products. They will be curtailed . The solution is to prepare dairy products to lower the temperature of 180 ° or less.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining sugar ( two tablespoons) until they cream. Gradually whisk ½ cup of the hot cream mixture .
6. Slowly add the egg mixture into the hot cream mixture . Now, this is where most of the ice cream -making goes wrong. While we have tempered the eggs , there is still room for error. So make sure that you are whisking the hot cream mixture while you add in the eggs … Slow!
7. Cook and stir the mixture over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Do not let it boil ! This should take about 5 minutes, and when it is ready , the mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and leave a clear trail when a finger goes through it .
8. Pumpkin should be close to ready . If there is, remove it from the oven and let it cool enough to work . Clean the meat from the skin and run it throughout the food processor until super smooth.
9. Add 1 cup of cream of pumpkin in warm custard mixture and combine . Now Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl. This will remove all the spices plus what remains of the pumpkin .
10. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate , at least 3 hours.
11. Add the pumpkin custard to your ice cream and process according to the manufacturers directions. Pack the ice cream in the freezer – safe container . Or there Cover and freeze until firm , at least 3 hours or up to 3 days before serving .
12. I served mine in a small carved pumpkin , but you do not have to do that . That’s a lot of work (and a little wasteful ) . It looks great , though! Especially with some sprinkles and whipped cream.
Incoming search terms:
- publix pumpkin ice cream